Saturday, February 18, 2006

Crikey!

Alright, I must interrupt my recap of our vacation up in Cairns. Two days ago, Ash and I went to the Australia Zoo. It’s the most famous zoo in Australia due to the lovable and crazy Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin. His father actually owned this zoo when he was a little boy…and the rest is history.

We set our alarms for 8am, so we could be there bright and early. The shows started at 10am. That’s a good 2 hours to get there. We got there at noon. There is definitely something wrong with us. But we got there just in time for the popular crocodile show in the Crocosseum. I know what you’re thinking. Was Steve Irwin performing the show? Unfortunately for us, he wasn’t. We weren’t giving up though. He could be caring for other animals or performing other shows around the zoo. The show was pretty cool regardless. The crocodile was huge!




Right after, I had an urge to take a picture with a big python. Sunstroke? Dehydration? Or just plain crazy? A little bit of each I’m guessing. At first, I wasn’t scared at all. Snakes never really scared me. Then as I was lining up (yes, other people were suffering from sunstroke too), I remembered someone telling me that snakes can sense fear. That’s when I started to feel a little nervous, which set into motion a vicious cycle of trying to calm down, only to become even more nervous because I couldn’t calm down.

That’s when the zookeeper placed the 40-pounder around my neck. Gulp. I found out that it was a female snake, about 15 years old. It started to really wrap around me. Hey, I’ve seen Anaconda. I know where this is going. Okay, smile for the camera. And that was that.



That right there is a fake smile.

Anyway, we walked around the zoo. We saw other crocodiles and two really cute camels. Did you guys know that the humps on the camel don’t hold water? That’s what I’ve always assumed. They actually contain fat according to the zookeeper. So a camel is not that different from me. Only it’s called a butt for me.

After a quick lunch, we took a safari shuttle to the Tiger Temple, where all the jungle felines were. Looked like something straight out of an Indiana Jones movie. We sat in the suntorium for an exciting tiger show. These tigers are such beautiful creatures.


Look at that beauty. They look so dignified without even trying. Kind of like me. That was Canadian sarcasm for you.



Have a look at one of the zookeepers doing the show. Could it be? THE Steve Irwin?!?! No. To our dismay, it wasn't. We were heartbroken.

Anyway, there was another zookeeper that was constantly playing with the tigers. He made them jump and play in the water. All of a sudden, one of the tigers, let’s call him Siegfried, charged at him. He pushed him to the ground and almost into the water. We all gasped. Ash and I thought he was in big trouble. But he just got up, brushed himself off, and continued playing with Siegfried. Um….are you kidding me? If I was almost mauled to death by a tiger, I would have a beautiful new tiger rug in my living room. Just kidding.

How could you kill such majestic creatures?

After that, we went to an elephant feeding. These guys were so cool. They seemed to be a little camera shy though...


But they came around. Here is Ash feeding Sabu, the biggest of the three elephants. She was so cute.



After we fed the elephants, we headed back to the suntorium to see the cheetah show. It wasn’t as exciting as the tiger show, but the animals were still so beautiful.

We wandered around a bit and bought popsicles. As we were eating them, we stumbled into the Kangaroo Haven, which is pretty much just an open field where you can roam with the roos. Big mistake. The kangaroos were staring at our popsicles. They thought we were there to feed them. We have never eaten popsicles that fast in our lives. Oh, the pain.

On our way out, we encountered something that was quite chilling.

Ash and I were just walking and all of a sudden, this head pops up from behind a fence. I think this guy wins the award for the world’s most evil animal. That is a face only a mother could love. We still have nightmares about him.

That was our day at the zoo.

Jess

Steve Irwin sightings: 0
Emu nightmares: 2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I *think* I would have DIED of jealousy had you met Steve Irwin.

Good thing you didn't. I wouldn't be able to control myself when i came after you in an envious rage, angry at you for stealing my Australian dream boat.

Although....you're right, that zookeeper COULD serve as a doppelganger. Hmm.....